Thursday, November 11, 2004

Starsky & Hutch

Two and One half stars
Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and... Snoop Dog?

Whatever else you gleam from this review, remember this: This movie tickled a funny bone that has laid dormant for far to long. I laughed out loud at so many parts of this movie. I lacked an appreciation for some of the finer points of the movie as the TV series it is based on came before my time, and if there ever were reruns in syndication I was never of an age where they seemed interesting. But that was so easy to set aside in this movie that I never felt like I missed an inside joke.

It has the feeling of a Ben Stiller comedy (aka, Zoolander, etc.) and that sarcastic, synical stab bodes well for this classic TV resurection. It wasn't free of over the top cheesy jokes and really, really dumb bonus features and the dialoge was so bad in many places it made me feel like I was really watching the old TV seriers. I suppose this was supposed to set a climate but dragged up the mind numbing feelings that come from watching TV in the era. The other thing that bugged me in that vein were the visualy painful recreations the period costumes.

Finally, I have never seen the original Huggy Bear to make a comparison, but I found Snoop Dog to embody the role with grace and realisim. He was hillarious to watch and seeing him in those costumes was like watching an art show!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home