Tuesday, October 19, 2004

The Star Wars Trilogy

Four stars

My wife gave me this most superb birthday gift: the new release of the origianl Star Wars trilogy (now known as movies IV, V and VI in the saga). Subsuquently, I feel compelled to offer my views on the four disc compilation as well as the movies contained there in.

The movies themselves are well known so not much time needs to be spent in review. Suffice it to say I rate them all "Four Stars" with "The Empire Strikes Back" being my personal favorite.

The discs use the same interface as episodes one and two. The same DVD Title sequence, the same opening screen style. Similar to Lucas' Indiana Jones boxed set, all of the bonus footage is contained in it's own disc. While part of me would like to have seen bonus features specific to each film as well as comprehensive featurettes (as was the case in the 'Indy' trilogy release) It was somewhat enjoyable to watch the bonus disc as it's own movie. This allows you to watch each of the films in sequence without feeling obligated to watch the behind the scenes footage before moving on.

Those who purchased the the re-release of the trilogy on VHS in 1997 will be familiar with the "Directors cut" version of the films in the DVD boxed set. This version of course also contains the digitally remastered sound and graphics found on that VHS collectors edition. These additions are quite distracting to me, but apparently Uncle George has decided this is the way the movies were meant to be, and I want them on DVD, so I will watch them as he would have me.

You've probably also heard the varied opinions on Lucas' decision to insert the image of Haden Christensen (who plays Anakin Skywalker in episodes two and three) at the end of "Return of The Jedi" in place of the orginal actor who protrayed the roll. I'll let you decide wheather this was a good or bad move. What I found interesting were the other places where the "new" and "orginal" movies were melded together. For example: The original voice of Boba Fett was replaced by that of the man who plays both Jenga Fett and Boba Fett in episodes 2 and 3. Also, the episode titles that lead the opening scrolling text have been removed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home