Thursday, November 11, 2004

To Sir, With Love

Two and one half stars
Sidney Poitier

This film, renown for a tour de force performance by Sidney Poitier, has long been on my list of classics to take in. I was not dissapointed as Poitier does demonstrate why he is held to such acclaim and why these breakthrough roles moved audiences and producers alike.

This is a very sixty's film though and I was unprepared for the influnce the decade would have on it's style and decorum. It can be somewhat distracting as filmakers stuggle to truly capture the "rowdy teens" without seeming mismanaged. Also, I couldn't help but laugh when "Lulu" and a band play in the film. I thought to myslef "I'm sure that band went on to interantional fame and fortune after being seen in a movie."

If you can leave behind the sense of presentism and take "To Sir" in context, you'll appreciate Mr. Poitier and roll this film played in Hollywood and the social scene of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home